Building a fence requires a lot of planning and budgeting. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. One of the most common questions we get is “How can I save money on this fence?” Here are a few things you’ll need to know to save money on fence installation.
Several factors can influence the cost of having a fence installed. One of the main ones is the type of fencing material. Installation pricing, regardless of the type of fencing material, is priced by the lineal foot.
- For example, chain link fencing is probably the cheapest material, as it can run between $3 to $6 per square foot. This is an ideal fence for keeping kids and pets contained and safe.
- A wood fence, which costs somewhat more, averages between $3 to $9 per square foot. Costs for installing a wood fence can vary, depending on wood type, height and decorative details.
- Vinyl fencing, which costs anywhere from $4 to $12 per square foot, is lightweight and offers easy installation. On the other hand, it’s not as suited for security purposes as metal fencing. The cost for installing a vinyl fence is about $20 per square foot.
- The most expensive fencing materials are aluminum or wrought iron, as they can cost about $40 per square foot.
Labor cost is perhaps the biggest factor involved in fence installation cost. Although the average fee for installing a fence varies between $30 and $50 per hour, certain conditions can increase the overall cost.
- For example, if you have steep slopes on your land, or have some areas that are hard to access, fence installation can be more expensive.
- A yard with too many trees, abnormal obstructions or other pre-existing structures can jack up the price.
- A contractor having to contact an electrical company for checking on underground electrical wires can entail additional costs.
- If your contractor has to secure city permits or requirements for a homeowner’s association, it can add to your fence installation cost. Therefore, it helps if you can do these jobs, yourself, to reduce labor costs. Additionally, knowing ahead of time, what the requirements are is helpful.
Considerations and Warnings
- Where you live can affect the cost, however, the average cost, nationally, for installing a new fence runs from roughly $1,500 to $4,000.
- Consider the main reason for installing a fence when selecting the best type of fencing materials. Although you may want to cut costs, it’s important to also consider other factors, including fence upkeep.
- The shape and size of your yard can affect the price of installing a fence.
- In most cases, fence installation entails three stages, which include, digging post holes, post installation and installing the fencing. Thus, you need to determine the length of time it will take for a contractor to accomplish all these tasks.
- A high quality fence company should be able to present you with an accurate timetable to help you get a reasonable idea of labor costs.
- Examine your property before you make a decision on fencing.
- Get at least three written estimates before hiring a fencing contractor as this gives you a better idea of the costs of materials and labor.
You don’t have to dole out more money that you need to spend for installing a fence. To learn more about the different types of fences and installations, don’t hesitate to call the professionals at Beitzell Fence.
Our Northern Virginia, family-owned company has continued to provide the highest quality of fencing, as well as top-notch services at reasonable prices for more than 28 years. We offer both residential and commercial installations.
Please contact us and find out more about our wide range of products and services. We belong to the American Fencing Association, in addition to the Northern Virginia Building Industry Association.