Everything You Need to Know About Wood Fences
Going back as far as 400 years in this country, wood fences have been used as a means of protecting property, penning in livestock, and setting a border between neighboring boundaries.
Wood fencing has a long and rich history of use in the early and modern United States. It is versatile, easy to install and maintain, and comes in many varieties. It’s no wonder early Americans used it so readily.
Here is (just about) everything you need to know about wood fences.
– Early fences weren’t complicated, but their design still exits today. Picket fences are easy to construct and maintain, and are a symbol of the American dream. Many people opt for the picket fence design as a means of adding aesthetic beauty to their property.
– What began as picket fences in the early days has evolved into many varieties. Even the most popular among picket fences (standard privacy fences), are essentially a picket fence with no space in between. There is little other difference between the two, perhaps other than height.
– Picket fences aren’t overly expensive. In panels (very unlike the traditional means of individual “picket” design), they are modestly priced for most homeowners. The price rises as the height and length increase. Add a bit more for stylized designs.
– Wood fencing is durable (especially when conditioned and treated). A good quality wood fence can last 20-30 years. This is especially true when the wood is made from rot-resistant wood and does not sit directly upon the ground.
– Maintenance surrounding wood fencing is marginally low. Every three or four years support posts should be re-tamped for added stability, and wood should be re-treated with sealer and water-proofing.
– Wood fencing comes in multiple designs. Picket, as mentioned; Lattice topped; vertical board; post and rail; louver and so on. There is enough variety that wood fencing can suit anybody’s needs.
Ready to shop for your very own wood fence? Then don’t hesitate to contact us for more information on how we can help you.