When you own your home, having a fence is essential for most. There are many that you can choose from, but by and large privacy fences are a top pick. Regardless, you need to consider many things when choosing a fence, such as whether privacy is your only concern, or if you want it to contain children and pets, or even just add something to your home’s curb appeal. Cost, maintenance and even your neighborhood may affect the choice of fence as well.
On average, you should set aside between $2,500 and $8,000 for a new fence, depending on the size and type that you decide on. With having to dole out such a large amount, you want to be sure that you’re making the right choice the first time. So, below we’ve pointed out the top four considerations when buying a new privacy fence.
- Choose The One that Fits Your Needs Best – Every yard and home is different, and your needs will differentiate between them. Prioritize your needs over your wants and make a practical choice that will best suit you and your needs. Privacy fences tend to be wood, in most cases, but vinyl is another popular choice.
- Wood fences need to be treated regularly, in order to keep them looking nice and fresh. They’re sturdy and hold up well under most circumstances. The slats are usually close together, resulting in optimum privacy. Consider the height that you’ll need to maintain privacy as well as keep children and pets in the yard, but wooden fences can easily be installed at your preferred height.
- Vinyl fences tend to be cheaper, and easier to install. The slat widths can vary depending on the fence, so some privacy may be lost if your fence is too open. They also aren’t as durable as wood, and can be broken if enough force is exerted upon them. (Of course, this can happen with wooden fences as well, but more force is necessary for those.) These fences tend to add to your curb appeal, though, as they are made to look nice in any yard.
- Chain link fences probably aren’t your first choice for privacy, but can have slats added through the links to maintain your privacy. The curb appeal isn’t great with these fences, but the cost and maintenance is a big plus on these.
“Everyone we worked with at Beitzell was so helpful and friendly! They made the process go so smoothly…”
Regardless, you need to make an informed decision and know exactly what it is that you need.
- Consider Maintenance– Fixing a fence is not always a fun task. Consider the upkeep of your chosen task. Wood fences are probably the easiest to fix, but they often are the ones that need the most maintenance. Vinyl and metal fences are costly and time consuming to repair, often needing to replace entire sections to fix one small part. Keep in mind just what it’s going to take to maintain your fence.
- Check Your HOA — If you’re in a neighborhood with an HOA, you may have requirements concerning your fence. Be sure you’re not going against the guidelines of the HOA when you’re choosing your fence. There should be a privacy fence option that meets with the standards.
- Pick the Right Contractor — Fencing a yard on your own is time consuming and hard labor. Consider hiring a contractor to do the work. Choosing a contractor is an important decision, and you need to go with someone you can trust. Here in Mclean, VA Beitzell Fence may be just the company you’re looking for. Contact us for more information concerning your fence installation.
Call today for a free estimate!